Monday 19 November 2012

Suspension Stuff Landcruiser Flexy Coil Kit


I thought i would tell everybody my opinion on my 2 inch flexy coil kit from suspension stuff.

I recently bought a 105 series landcruiser. With this truck i wanted it to be a family car for my wife and still be capable enough offroad to get me most places.

I also wanted it to be basically legal ie no more than 50mm lift and run 33 inch tyres max.

I narrowed my suspension choices down to the 2 inch flexy coil kit, the old man emu 2 inch lift with sports shocks or a tough dog combo.

I am sure the OME or tough dog would be awesome and i would have been happy with them but i decided to take a risk in search for more flex and give the flexy coils a go. I have found there isnt much about these set ups so hopefully this helps people decide.

The OME kit was $1900 installed. it was just coils and shocks and castor bushes. 

The flexy coil kit was $1600 delivered and had additional: 3 extended brake hoses and sway bar extensions. Install was around $450 - mine ended up costing $700 as there were some problems with LPG tanks in the way... So overall pretty similar. 

Firstly, can i say The guys at suspension stuff were really helpful and i deadset must have annoyed them heaps asking questions and spent 40 min on the phone to shane at one point but they were always courteous and helpful. Every guy i spoke to in the suspension industry including ultimate and tjm as well all said obviously that theirs was the best. But i didnt like how ARB etc were like: ours is the best and that it. no real explaining why just buy it as its the best. i did like how munroe do alot of research for the ome kit tho... Suspension stuff actually explain the reason why there kit will do what i wanted it to do. I was sold!

The first problem i had was i ordered the kit and the guys contacted me and said that dobinson was out of 4 inch shocks and they would be a month. I was a bit disappointed with that as i had handed over my hard earned and get told it would be a month instead of the agreed few days. No big deal.

The boys then looked into 6 inch shocks for the kit and i spent some time on the phone negotiating the best approach. I didnt want to fit these shocks if they needed massive bumpstop spacers so we nutted it out. Shane then volunteered to go in on a saturday and fit the 6 inch shocks to his own 105 series and see what size bumpstops you would need and see if they would work. This is the service that was great with these guys.

Turns out the 6 inch shocks worked and needed 35mm bump stops front and rear. This would give the truck some serious flex too!

I had some 35mm square tube at work so gave it to the guys fitting my suspension and they fitted it all and extended the bolts for the bumpstops and added the spacers.

The whole concept i wanted was a car that wasnt very high, was great for my wife to drive and get kids into, was legal but flexed unreal off road. The best of both worlds - and it is awesome!

On the road it handle great. I think due to getting the wheel alignment right. i havent loaded it up yet but i am told it will handle a load really well as the spring binds up as you put pressure on it so you can add weight without too much sag.

I ordered 5 steel rims with 5x 305/70r16 mtz's and told shane - he recomended -14 or -20 offset which was a great idea and i went with -14 cause thats all i could find. They scrub on the rear inner guard a little and in hindsight a -20 or -24 would have been better as they still sit inside the guard a fair bit.

I have added some pics of it flexing but this is only early days so havent got great pics but i am more than happy. I did some pretty gnarly stuff on the weekend and still didnt get a wheel off the ground so not sure of the potential of the flex!!! I walked behind it as my mate drove it up a hill aiming for the hardest route - the car just crawls lazily up not even bothered. i put a rear locker in the truck and used it once on a big step. No lockers required with this kit! you never lift a wheel off the ground!

A big thanks to suspension stuff and also highlands tyremaster mittagong - they were awesome and highlands transmissions for fitting the kit. (hope this is OK - i have no affiliation with them but they deserve a big thankyou)

Chris

link to kit: 2" LIFT MATES RATES FLEXY COIL KIT for a Landcruiser 105 Series, Suspension Stuff


http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/

3 comments:

  1. Great Blog!! That was amazing. I’m glad you posted something like this one. Consequently those people became aware in identifying the different suspension 4x4.
    many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for shared a good topic. I think it will help the people to repair the car and another car instrument. Our variety of parts ranges from suspension kits to motor mounts. View our online gallery for examples of work we’ve done Mustang II IFS Suspension. I think it will a great opportunity to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article...
    Informative blog.And also very-very useful for those who loves riding.keep updated on A Kit suspension This type of article is really very useful for the users. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete